The moment that a head-on collision occurs, you will need to hire a Lackawanna head-on collision lawyer. You and any other victim who’s been injured are entitled to compensation for pain and suffering, emotional distress, and medical expenses, among others.
A reckless driver will have to pay for his or her poor driving. Allow the best New York personal injury lawyers to work on your case and bring you the reparation you deserve.
Contact our team at Buffalo Car Accident Lawyers and you’ll immediately have a higher chance of getting a successful claim. We work hard with our clients and are tireless in our resolve.
Table of Contents
Why Do Head-On Collisions Occur?
New York roads, especially in Lackawanna can get congested during peak hours. As such, there’s a higher chance of a car accident such as a head-on collision if motorists aren’t careful.
Head-on collisions are rare due to the fact that most drivers are actively trying to avoid such accidents. Lawmakers and the Department of Transportation in each state, including New York, pass legislation and try to ensure that highways and roads are designed in a way that reduce dangerous conditions that are more likely to lead to an auto accident.
Thankfully, as a result of the efforts of the Department of Transportation and lawmakers, fatalities have been reduced notably after implementing the SHSP (Strategic Highway Safety Plan). The total number of roadway fatalities was 1,121 in 2015. This is significantly lower than the more than 1,400 fatalities per year average before the SHSP process began a decade ago.
There are times when the driver is slow to respond as they have been drinking alcohol or is under the influence of drugs. He or she may be confused or may not even know that there’s been an auto collision. Other reasons include driving without a license, distracted driving, and when they’re in a hurry to get to their destination.
What Should You Do If You Are Involved In a Head-On Collision?
After being involved in a head-on collision, you will be very disoriented as your mind tries to catch up with what just occurred. The following are steps that you should take if you ever find yourself in a head-on collision in Lackawanna or anywhere else:
- Assess: Be sure to take a minute to assess if you have suffered any injuries to your body before moving if possible. If you have been severely injured, the last thing you would want to do is to make any injury worse by reacting instead of observing your own situation.
- Check: Next, check on any of the passengers in your vehicle if you have any. Also, check on the driver and passengers of the other vehicle and assess their injuries, if any. If you or anyone else involved is injured, be sure to call 911 as quickly as possible. This will ensure the quickest response by emergency workers to the accident site. It is important to not engage in any conversations in regards to the accident and do not apologize. This can be perceived as you taking fault for the accident when it may not be.
- Move To Safety: If you are able to do so, move your vehicle off the road to allow for other cars to pass by. This allows the police and other first responders to reach the crash site as quickly as possible. This also reduces the risk of another accident occurring in the same area. Make sure you and your passengers are in a safe spot away from any moving vehicles or any flames if present. Moving to a safe spot ensures the safety of others and yourself.
- Call 911: Immediately contact the police to report the accident. Police will be able to investigate the accident to find out its cause. While you are waiting for the police to arrive, exchange information with the other driver. Be sure to not talk about the crash, why you think it may happened, or apologize. Just focus on whether everyone is all right and exchanging identification information with the other driver. Give the police as much information s possible, including the names of those involved along with vehicle and license plate information.
- Gather: Try to ensure you get the names and addresses of the persons involved in the accident along with any witnesses.
- Call Insurance: Call your insurance to report the accident; even if you don’t believe it is your fault.
- Contact Attorney: Whether you’re injured or not and whether it is your fault or not, calling a lawyer is the best option to ensure you are protected and compensated. Call 911 and report that there’s been an accident in the area. They will ask for details, such as the address, the make, and model of the car, and if there’s anyone who’s hurt. Speak with other witnesses so you can round out the information to give to the police later.
Call a Lackawanna head-on collision lawyer today to discuss your options.
What Damages Can Victims Get From a Head-On Accident Claim in New York?
If anyone in the accident was injured, if property was damaged, an animal is injured or killed, or simply because you feel there are grounds to call to the police. It is imperative to report accidents to the police.
If the accident occurred in New York State, car insurance policies include compensation for payments for medical expenses, lost wages and other expenses, regardless of fault.
No Fault policies can cover :
- All necessary medical and rehabilitation expenses.
- Lost earnings up to $ 2,000 a month for up to three years from the date of the accident. There is a 20% reduction of actual lost earnings.
- Up to $25 per day is available for one year after the accident for other reasonable and necessary expenses incurred because of the accident, such as the cost of hiring a housekeeper to perform the household services usually performed by the injured person.
- Death benefit of $2000.
Some policies may contain additional benefits. It’s best to look carefully at your own policy and discuss your benefits with your insurance company directly.
How Long Do I Have to File a Claim For a Head-on Accident in New York?
Statute of limitations determines the timeframe on when you can file for a lawsuit in the New York civil court system. Once this has passed you may not be able to proceed with the case without an approved exception.
During this time, you should contact witnesses, gather evidence and procure the necessary paperwork to present in the court. A police report can serve as evidence that you’re a victim of a head-on collision auto accident.
A Lackawanna head-on collision lawyer will prove to be an invaluable ally in working within the statute of limitations. At Buffalo Car Accident Lawyers we can obtain the necessary evidence to build a strong case on your behalf. Our winning ways can give you peace of mind knowing you’ll be getting the benefits and compensation for the injuries you sustained.
Why Do I Need a Lackawanna Head-On Collision Lawyer?
Victims of head-on collision accidents in Lackawanna will need time to recuperate. You could have numerous medical appointments and suffer from mental and emotional distress. However, there is paperwork to be done and evidence to be gathered if you wish to get a successful claim.
Auto accident cases and insurance claims are important and thus require a professional New York lawyer. Due to their years of experience, a Lackawanna head-on collision lawyer will be able to speak in your behalf in court or with the insurance provider and get the best results.
Call a Lackawanna Head-On Collision Lawyer Today!
A head-on collision situation can go many different ways, but the constant factor should be you and other victims getting compensation for lost work hours, pain and suffering, and medical expenses.
Buffalo Car Accident Lawyers can deal with insurance companies and at-fault perpetrators and recover what’s rightfully yours. Don’t hesitate to call a Lackawanna car accident lawyer today.